George F. Baker Elementary School, located in the Varina District, is named for George F. Baker who was principal of Varina School from 1916 to 1940. Baker Elementary opened on September 9, 1957 with 21 teachers, a principal, and a secretary. The school was completed in February 1958, dedicated on May 9, 1958, and an additional building that contains a gym and a multipurpose room for art and music was used for the first time in March 1978. We have a nature trail, a nature building, and in 1991, the Eastern Henrico Ruritan Club donated 20 trees from the homes of four Virginia presidents to establish a Presidential Grove on our grounds. A beautiful garden has been planted in honor of Mrs. Spratley, who retired in June of 2000 after many years of dedicated and loyal service to Baker Elementary. Our children have planted bulbs in the garden near the multipurpose building, and our Garden Club continues to maintain it.