Henrico Schools Safety Website
Crisis Preparedness Handbook: Parents and School Emergencies
At Baker, we will complete the following drills during the school year.
- Bus Evacuations
- Fire Drills
- Tornado Drill
- Earthquake Drill
- Signal Blue, Hide and Lock Drill
- Lockdown Drill
- School Operation Hours: 7:45 – 4:00 PM
- Students are not permitted to enter the school building until 7:45 am with exception of before-school activities. After 3:15 students are not permitted to re-enter the school building with the exception of planned after-school activities.
- Identification of parking spaces: Staff members park in the parking lots located on the eastern and western side of the main building. Transportation personnel park on the gravel lot adjacent to the bus loop and transportation zone office trailer. Parents and visitors may park in the parking lot in front of the school.
- Identification of student drop off and pick up areas: Parents may drop off students in the morning at the front entrance using the front loop starting at 7:45 am. There are signs directing parents to the drop-off area. Parents may pick up their child starting at 2:35 pm in the front loop.
- Identification of main or single point of entry available for parent use: The main entrance is available for parent use as their main entry way. There are signs that direct parents to this entrance. Parents and visitors are not permitted to enter the building through any other door.
- Identification of bus loop: There is one “Buses Only” sign leading into the bus loop area.
- Procedures for pulling up to school: Parents pull into the entrance and follow front loop in front of the main entrance of the building to drop off students. When the students are coming into school to start the day, there will be two adults outside to keep the traffic moving and safe. Parents are to pull up in the loop as far as possible to allow traffic to flow more smoothly. A yellow safety line is painted on the sidewalk to show students where to walk to and from the entrance of the school.
- Procedures for student pickup: Parents are to pull into the front loop and wait for their students beginning at 2:35. Parents must display their “pick-up” number in order to pick up their student. Once parents are confirmed by bus duty personnel, faculty radio in and call for students who are waiting in Room 12 for dismissal. Bus duty personnel will also indicate student dismissal on a daily check-off form. Students exit the building via the main entrance and may be picked up from their parent in the front loop. Parents who do not have an number or who enter the building prior to or during dismissal must sign their student out. During the school day, if a parent or visitor is found parking in the front loop during any other time besides parent drop-off, they will be asked to move their vehicle immediately and park in the designated parking spaces.